Did he really say that?

The kind of humor I like is the thing that makes me laugh for five seconds and think for ten minutes = GEORGE CARLIN...Stained glass, engraved glass, frosted glass–give me plain glass = JOHN FOWLES...Music is the mathematics of the gods = PYTHAGORAS...Nothing is more fluid than language = R.L.SWIHART

Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Editorial Note (CpB #2)




When I finish reading an autobiography in which Cole Porter is the second most important character, there will be a succession of posts related to his LOVE FOR SALE. The sequence can be linked together by entering CbP in this site's search engine. But not yet: I still have seventy more pages to go.

I would have read some of those pages out on the jetty this morning but the size of the hardcover book is not back pack-friendly for a five mile walk.


However...

This blogger is contractually obligated to the "Juniors"–a pair of current administrators from the Lewis Carroll School of Logic. I refer, of course to the same-named offspring of Etta Seamster and Daniel DiMaria.
They insisted on a specific quote from the book: Since Miss Bricktop is already adding "special" lyrics to a poplular song, we want you to make them more special with an insert.
They permitted me to highlight the line as I saw fit. The e-mail from the Lewis Carroll School included an illustration of the Walrus & The Carpenter.


Thanks for the memories
Of Paris in the spring
The Cole Porter songs we'd sing
Of the old Grand Duc and onion soup
Of cabbages and kings
And other priceless things
I thank you so much.



Blogger's Note
For the full text of the Walrus & the Carpenter's poem–with the unstricken "Of cabbages & kings," click here







No comments: