Did he really say that?

The kind of humor I like is the thing that makes me laugh for five seconds and think for ten minutes = GEORGE CARLIN...Stained glass, engraved glass, frosted glass–give me plain glass = JOHN FOWLES...Music is the mathematics of the gods = PYTHAGORAS...Nothing is more fluid than language = R.L.SWIHART

Wednesday, October 3, 2012

The Return of Marcel DuTramp

Time did not allow me to post this yesterday. But when I arrived at the the Long Beach Jetty, a surprise awaited.

"It being Tuesday, I was expecting you."
"I am honored by your expectations, Marcel. Can I photograph you and your cat?"
"No, you may not. But I do have some pictures for you."
"Why, thank you."

The grey house cat leaped from his arms and disappeared between some boulders. As if on cue, she re-appeared in the distance when Marcel showed me a photograph.






"Delta hardly ate anything last night  but she is feasting on the remains of yesterday's salad bar."









Marcel looked very healthy and robust, like Ernest Hemingway with a trimmed beard. Wearing khakis and Espadrilles, it would be difficult to mistake the "resident artist of the Long Beach Jetty" for a homeless person.

"I have another photograph but first I have a poem for you."
"I'm all ears."
  I condescend to my inferiors
  I am intimidated by superiors
  And I disdain any man
  Who thinks he's my equal.
  But I love my cats


"Where does that leave me, Marcel?"
"Paul, I think of you as none of the above. I also think this world
 would be a beautiful place if it weren't for human beings."
"How would we know?"
"We must know when it is time to leave...
  and I must leave the jetty right now."
"Too bad. I was hoping we could talk some more."
"We will... next Tuesday. But you don't
  get to leave empty-handed.
"This photograph is a gift for you."
"Thank you, Marcel. Does this picture have a name?"
"Yes. The title of this photograph is Multiple Choice...



The next Marcel DuTramp page is here.

No comments: