Did he really say that?

The kind of humor I like is the thing that makes me laugh for five seconds and think for ten minutes = GEORGE CARLIN...Stained glass, engraved glass, frosted glass–give me plain glass = JOHN FOWLES...Music is the mathematics of the gods = PYTHAGORAS...Nothing is more fluid than language = R.L.SWIHART

Monday, September 3, 2012

Carol & Horace (TWC #3)






By clicking on the photo, it will enlarge enough to make the text readable.









Before Carol Kaye switched to bass guitar in 1964, she played six-string guitar, both acoustic and electric. That information and the blockquote below are from Kent Hartman's THE WRECKING CREW. Carol Smith was thirteen years old at the time.
After appropriate introductions, the guitar teacher–an esteemed instructor and graduate of the Eastman School of Music named Horace Hatchett–simply could not take his eyes off of Carol’s steel guitar...He decided to made her an offer. “Carol, you’re a good player. I’d be willing to give you some free lessons if you’ll help me with my teaching”...And so he did, in his small non-descript home on Corona Avenue in Long Beach.

This is Mr. Hatchett's student during one of her Wrecking Crew studio gigs. Carol was a few years removed–but not too many–from her Long Beach guitar lessons.



Blogger's note and Blogger's quote
In an August 4th post, I wrote "I parked my car on Corona Avenue in Belmont Shore"
but expressed a desire to be in Corona, Queens–three thousand miles away.

Within days of that post, I started reading "The Wrecking Crew" and found
the reference to Corona Avenue in Long Beach.

I have since determined that the four short blocks in Belmont Shore
is the entirety of Corona Avenue in Long Beach.

If a resident there (or elsewhere) can positively identify the "non-descript home"
of an esteemed teacher named Horace Hatchett,
I will certainly post a photograph of it.

The next Wrecking Crew page is  here.





No comments: