Did he really say that?

The kind of humor I like is the thing that makes me laugh for five seconds and think for ten minutes = GEORGE CARLIN...Stained glass, engraved glass, frosted glass–give me plain glass = JOHN FOWLES...Music is the mathematics of the gods = PYTHAGORAS...Nothing is more fluid than language = R.L.SWIHART

Saturday, May 19, 2012

........................ The Almosts ........................




On Monday mornings 
at the Milk of Motherhood Insurance Company,
most employees have something to share with their colleagues.
The twenty-somethings boastfully describe their wild week-ends.

Some of them are even telling the truth.

At the water cooler, homeowners discuss shelving units 
they built for the den or relive Sunday’s football highlights.

Others talk about their daughter’s piano recital 
or celebrity-sightings–real or imagined.

But then there are the Almosts. 

There is always a small group of office people 
without weekend points of pride.

They say things like

"I almost had a hot date but I lost the phone number." 

Or
“I almost went to the movies but
my aunt just had heart surgery
so I stayed at home and prayed for her recovery.” 

Or
“My sister invited me to go skiing but I’m afraid of snow.”



What else they had to say was almost interesting enough 
to reprint in this space but not quite. 

*********

©
 Oliverio
©
The image is from Jay Pegg Europa

No comments: