Did he really say that?

The kind of humor I like is the thing that makes me laugh for five seconds and think for ten minutes = GEORGE CARLIN...Stained glass, engraved glass, frosted glass–give me plain glass = JOHN FOWLES...Music is the mathematics of the gods = PYTHAGORAS...Nothing is more fluid than language = R.L.SWIHART

Monday, May 28, 2012

Putting The Cart Before The Horse




ALTERNATE TITLE: CONNECT THE DOTS





What does this:



Bom-ma-bom, a-bom-bom-a-bom, ba-ba-bom-bom-a-bomp,
b-dang-a-dang-dang, b-ding-a-dong-ding.


Have in common with this:

Once upon a time
Before I took up smiling
I hated the moonlight!
Shadows of the night
That poets find beguiling
Seemed flat as the moonlight




The most common and reasonable answer would be "absolutely nothing at all" but the correct answer is both "lyrics" introduce the same song. The nonsense verse (the Marcels) and the moonlight verse (Tony Bennett) preface the very identifiable lyrics as originally written by Richard Rogers and Lorenzo Hart.


Blue moon you saw me standing alone
Without a dream in my heart
Without a love of my own
Blue moon

You knew just what I was there for
You heard me saying a prayer for
Someone I really could care for
And then there suddenly appeared before me
The only one my arms will ever hold
I heard somebody whisper 'Please adore me'
And when I looked, the moon had turned to gold!
Blue moon! Now I'm no longer alone
Without a dream in my heart
Without a love of my own.
........................................................

In the pre-Beatles portion of the Sixties, I was one of five million American teenagers who gyrated on the dance floor to the Marcels' BLUE MOON. In the pre-Beatles portion of the Sixties, some of those five million American teenagers asked "Who the hell are Rodgers & Hart?"
At that time, the most common and reasonable answer was "Rodgers & Hart wrote those weird songs our parents listened to."
At this time, I am the only one of those former teenagers capable of making you ask "What the hell does Putting The Cart Before The Horse have to do with this blogpost?"

It is a metaphor for giving an example of a concept before defining the concept.


Plan 9 Music is a cyberspace concept: a signal would bounce from an advanced satellite to youtube.com
"Companion videos" would automatically segue from one to the other with the viewer/













No comments: