Did he really say that?

The kind of humor I like is the thing that makes me laugh for five seconds and think for ten minutes = GEORGE CARLIN...Stained glass, engraved glass, frosted glass–give me plain glass = JOHN FOWLES...Music is the mathematics of the gods = PYTHAGORAS...Nothing is more fluid than language = R.L.SWIHART

Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Happy Birthday, NINA SIMONE

Today, February 21, would have been Nina's 79th birthday.
Many yesterdays ago I was her Slash Man. That is, in 1982, I was Nina's roadie/go-fer/public defender/shoeshine boy. I would also have been her swimming partner if only my then-girlfriend conveyed a 6AM message rather than smash the telephone.
Instead of listing Nina's immeasurable contributions to modern culture, I will guarantee listening pleasure at this link and compound that pleasure by recommending another.

To quote the King James Brown Bible: PLEASE, PLEASE PLEASE, goto the wonderful world of JazzOnTheTube.com for a magnificent menu of Nina Simone's music.
A future blogpost will explain the concept of PLAN 9 MUSIC. It is a dot-connecting method wherein the "dots" are actually songs that might not otherwise be connected.
For example, Nina Simone and John Lennon are rarely mentioned in the same sentence unless you are on Mt. Olympus. After listening to Ms. Simone's Aint Got No, check out a two-minute version of John Lennon's God. The connection is purely in the self-love theme of the lyrics but both songs will enable your brain to get on the good foot.


Correction: Today, February 21, 2012, is Nina Simone's 79th birthday.
The last nine of which have been spent in posthumous bliss. Today, her favorite birthday gift is a new guitarist named Raymond Peterssen, to whom this blog is dedicated.


If I haven't exhausted your lust for linkage and you really want to read about Nina Simone, I cautiously recommend a story about an utterly legendary woman. I say "cautiously" because the editor was asleep on the day of publication. I will oblige anyone who demands that I shake the old man from his continuing slumber.





The story is based upon this impossible-to-find* Nina Simone album. The actual autographs referred to in "Tattered Terrycloth Jazz Legend" have been immortalized in the 2-DIE-4 PHOTO GALLERY. They can be found very close to the southernmost point of this blog site.




*If you, or anyone you know, can locate this album in disc format, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE let me know.

No comments: