Did he really say that?

The kind of humor I like is the thing that makes me laugh for five seconds and think for ten minutes = GEORGE CARLIN...Stained glass, engraved glass, frosted glass–give me plain glass = JOHN FOWLES...Music is the mathematics of the gods = PYTHAGORAS...Nothing is more fluid than language = R.L.SWIHART

Tuesday, February 21, 2012

RAYMOND PETERSSEN (1949-2012)




Rest in Peace, Ray Peterssen.

He circumnavigated the calendar almost sixty two times.
The last time I saw him was the day he completed his 61st orbit of the calendar.

I organized an early AM surprise birthday party at a San Diego Starbucks.

At least twenty people–including virtually all the baristas–sang the birthday song
and Ray was in fine fettle, made finer by a chocolate croissant
begifted from the Starbucks manager.

It was my privilege to know Ray for more than fifty years.

Our bi-coastal friendship began in 1961 at St. Luke's Elementary School.
Along with three other students, Ray was the first teenager
I knew personally who could actually play Rock&Roll music.

He would continue to do so for the rest of his life.
His primary instrument was the guitar–electric, acoustic, and other-worldly.
The instrument I played was the phonograph but I sure knew how to dance.

On June 1, 1967, Ray was the first person in Flushing to purchase
multiple copies of Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band.

Flushing is where the New York Mets have been playing baseball since 1964.
The infield of Shea Stadium was converted to a staging area in August, 1965
when the Beatles performed there. More than 55,000 people were there
and Ray was one of them. He paid $6.50 for his ticket.

Unfortunately, I was not at the stadium that night but the two of us
attended a ballgame there on May 18, 2001. It was my 52nd birthday
and I had a reciprocal Andy Warhol moment: my name was flashed
on the stadium scoreboard for 1/15 of a second.

In 1970, Raymond Peterssen & Paul Oliverio had lysergically-induced
"burger moments" at the Hampton Bays Diner.

In 2003, we had drug-free jogs alongside the Cross-Island Parkway,
where we discovered the ultra-hip music of Marvin Pontiac.
*******************************************

Meanwhile, on the other coast, in the current millennium, we ironed out our mid-life crises
during lengthy walks in Burbank and La Jolla, where we did some fine dining with Lori,
Ray's wife. She got very excited because Pauly Shore was seated at the next table.

The dubiously-hip Pauly seemed obligated to let everyone in the waterfront restaurant
know that he was there.

There are as many as fifty songs in my iTunes file which Raymond Peterssen either performed/ composed/ produced, including albums by Robin Lee Rey
and Ray's award-winning production of a Seattle band, Woodrush.

Four out of five Lucinda Williams' fans love Robin Lee Rey.

Another Raymond Peterssen post is here.

Lori Peterssen is the retired President of this Godfather's fan club.
Their son, Jessie, was also at his father's bedside yesterday morning
when Ray passed away.

8 comments:

Cajo said...

I was very touched to read your comments about Ray. I was his friend and next-door neighbor when he grew up in Whitestone. I then moved back there years later and was in touch with Ray because we looked in on his mom for him.
Ray would often come to my backyard when he was in town and he would play the guitar and we would sing together. I enjoyed those times so much.

My family is very saddened by his passing, but his spirit will live on in our memory always. I am happy that Jesse was with him.

RIP Ray.

Laurel said...

Thank you for this tribute to Ray Peterssen. As kids, Ray and I were neighbors in Whitestone. We played endless games of stickball with our friends. Our lives took different directions as we ventured out into the world but today I have come home and now live across the street from the house where Ray grew up. Ray is a part of all the wonderful memories I have and treasure.

Paul Oliverio said...

Cajo
In 2002, Ray and I played an invisible game of baseball at the old "Dupee's" Park.
Ray won the game when he hit a towering homerun but I think he forgot to touch second base.
Paul

Paul Oliverio said...

Laurel
I am sure you remember the BUMBLEES.
Three of them–Ray, Terry Dugan, and Jack McCarthy–held a reunion in 2004 at a pub five doors south of the old candy store on the corner of your block.
I wish I was there but "Petey" gave me a photograph of the Bumblees Revisited which I displayed in Long Beach, California for five years.
With a little bit of welcome prodding, I'd be willing to post the picture on this blog site.
Paul

Laurel said...

Thanks for the reply, Paul. I didn’t know about the Bumblees! But I would love for you to post the picture you have of them and I’ll share it with my sister, Janet, who had a regular correspondence with Ray over the past ten years or so.

Unknown said...

Ray was an interesting fellow. He produced my ep The Freddy Herrmann project ep. I am sad to hear he has passed Paul. I still think if things would have been different in a few key ways we could.have home run a few songs.www.reverbnation/Frederickherrmann

Paul Oliverio said...

F.H.
I know your FREDDY HERRMANN PROJECT quite well and, in a "Superior Reality" your home runs would have been of Ruthian proportions.

Ray used the term "Superior Reality" when we were caught in a brainstorm while standing in the shadows of Montauk Point lighthouse.

Unknown said...

Someday..someway..I would like to be your friend Paul. You wrote a superior blog and I am fascinated by your affiliation with Raining Notes music legend Ray P. I was fascinated by him. Your blog is very there.