Did he really say that?

The kind of humor I like is the thing that makes me laugh for five seconds and think for ten minutes = GEORGE CARLIN...Stained glass, engraved glass, frosted glass–give me plain glass = JOHN FOWLES...Music is the mathematics of the gods = PYTHAGORAS...Nothing is more fluid than language = R.L.SWIHART

Friday, June 1, 2012

Dodgson Logic

Exhibit A:
If I show you this

1


All you see is the number 1
and there is absolutely no reason to reach for the panic button.



Exhibit B:
If I show you this

[(X+Y) (3) (W+Z)]/(3XW+3YW+3XZ+3YZ)


I hope your math anxiety has not gone full throttle.



BUT IN TRUTH
...allowing me to do the math for you...
both things mean exactly the same!


CONCLUSION:

For some things, like Exhibit B, first impressions can be very misleading. Do not let anxiety make you rush to judgment.
Do not let your first impression be your last impression!

On the broader subject of "Rushing to Judgment" click here and there.

No comments: