Did he really say that?

The kind of humor I like is the thing that makes me laugh for five seconds and think for ten minutes = GEORGE CARLIN...Stained glass, engraved glass, frosted glass–give me plain glass = JOHN FOWLES...Music is the mathematics of the gods = PYTHAGORAS...Nothing is more fluid than language = R.L.SWIHART

Thursday, June 7, 2012

Right Fut or Wrong Fut? (Apple #6)


For chronological accuracy, the subtitle of this post should be GRANDCHILD OF APPLE #5. But the post would never exist if I had not provided the wrong-but-since-corrected link for (APPLE #4.)
"Such is human perversity."
The quote is from Lewis Carroll in the preface to The Hunting of the Snark. Suffice it to say that the wrong link inspired me to go directly to Wikipedia for more information about the CARNIVAL OF LIGHT, a recently discovered song billed as "the rarest of rare Beatles tracks."

Biographer Barry Miles wrote in Paul McCartney: Many Years from Now that the song had "no rhythm, although a beat is sometimes established for a few bars by the percussion or a rhythmic pounding piano. There is no melody, although snatches of a tune sometimes threaten to break through."
"I said 'all I want you to do is just wander around all the stuff, bang it, shout, play it, it doesn't need to make any sense. Hit a drum, then wander onto the piano, hit a few notes and just wander around'," said McCartney in November 2008.
In other words, Paul wanted the band to create a mischmasch of sound and "it doesn't need to make any sense." Mischmasch is a word created by Lewis Carroll. The avant garde fourteen minute track has never been released but I accessed a five minute bootleg excerpt on youTube.

Please note: I quit smoking marajuana many years ago. Had I not quit reefer–and all related substances–when I did, my mind would have been reduced to pure vegetable matter. However, I listened to CARNIVAL OF LIGHT five times and I felt much higher than I did on the day Sgt. Peppers was released! I felt so high, I wanted to make love to my computer! But then gravity got the best of me. So did the LC School of Logic art professor, Rene Magritte.
After listening to the five-minute bootleg, I listened to a shorter version and scrolled down to read viewer comments.

This is NOT the Beatles, though this has fooled many a Beatles' fan, including even Yoko Ono. It is, in fact, Maurice Gibb of the Bee Gees, reportedly drunk off his tree and doing his best John Lennon impersonation. Drunk he might be, but if it was needed, this is further proof of the astonishing talent of the Gibbs.

Maurice Gibb, who starred in the film version of Sargent Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band recorded the mock Beatles' song with some Australian musicians. The band was called "Fut."
Such is human perversity.

I have bookmarked the five-minute bootleg of CARNIVAL OF LIGHT and will listen to it again because a fake Mona Lisa is better than no Mona Lisa at all. Also, I will continue to believe at least half of what I read in Wikipedia.


The viewer comment was posted by "JalanRumpai."

(Apple #7) is here. 

No comments: