Did he really say that?

The kind of humor I like is the thing that makes me laugh for five seconds and think for ten minutes = GEORGE CARLIN...Stained glass, engraved glass, frosted glass–give me plain glass = JOHN FOWLES...Music is the mathematics of the gods = PYTHAGORAS...Nothing is more fluid than language = R.L.SWIHART

Saturday, October 27, 2012

Love Is All You Answer

Subtitle = Another Arthur Lee

Recently, the Institute of Inane Research–based in Piscataway, NJ–
surveyed sixty survivors of the Sixties. Qualifying for the survey
required nothing more than intimate familiarity
with the popular music of that period.

One and only one question had to be answered:

Which band from the "Sixties" did not get all the due credit it deserved?

Given the influence of the Beatles and the subsequent British Invasion,
the survey extended from the United States to England.


The most common answer given was a most pertinent
but volcanically vague word: LOVE

However, all ambiguity goes out the window
when it is written this way:



The heart & soul of  LOVE
was Arthur Lee.

His name, per se, significantly
lacks pizazz but Arthur certainly
had his finger on the psychedelic
pulse of the Sixties.




In this photo, Arthur Lee is talking
with another Sixties musician
who did not lack recognition
during that era.

But Jimi Hendrix had to go to England
before Americans could appreciate
his genius.


Ironically (and virtually), this blogger (and the Institute)
had to go to England to find a website that provides
due praise for Arthur Lee & LOVE.

The website provides enough links to justify
the results of the Inane Research.


The Red Telephone, written by Arthur Lee and performed by LOVE,
contains the following verse:

Sometimes I deal with numbers
And if you want to count me
Count me out.

The Red Telephone was described in the survey as
"An existential dilemma with symphonic strings and then some."
For copyright reasons, only one verse of the song could be posted.

However, for your "surrealist delight," all the lyrics
of Seven And Seven Is are included below.
Feel free to sing along:

When I was a boy I thought about the times I'd be a man
I'd sit inside a bottle and pretend that I was in a can
In my lonely room I'd sit my mind in an ice cream cone
You can throw me if you wanna 'cause I'm a bone and I go
Oop-ip-ip oop-ip-ip, yeah!

If I don't start cryin' it's because that I have got no eyes
My father's in the fireplace and my dog lies hypnotized
Through a crack of light I was unable to find my way
Trapped inside a night but I'm a day and I go
Oop-ip-ip oop-ip-ip, yeah!

One... Two... Three... Four!


The next Inane page is here.


No comments: