Did he really say that?

The kind of humor I like is the thing that makes me laugh for five seconds and think for ten minutes = GEORGE CARLIN...Stained glass, engraved glass, frosted glass–give me plain glass = JOHN FOWLES...Music is the mathematics of the gods = PYTHAGORAS...Nothing is more fluid than language = R.L.SWIHART

Monday, October 15, 2012

Speaking In Code

Some backstory is necessary before introducing a quote affiliated with the ever-present Lewis Carroll School of Logic.

When I last walked five miles to the Long Beach Jetty, I brought Little Alice along "for the ride." Within the first mile, she insisted on having herself re-photographed in front of the Shell Tree.
"Why?"
"Because I like Madeline."
I obliged her. However...when I reached the jetty, Little Alice had fallen asleep. That sort of thing happens at any given moment because her existence–despite her youthful appearance–began well over a hundred years ago.
(Alice In Wonderland was originally published in 1865.)

When the administration of the LCSoL saw the picture of Little Alice & Madeline's Shell Tree, they came up with an idea. But their wording is a cumbersome legalistic mouthful.
Any quotation set adjacent to the aforementioned photograph automatically establishes our exclusivity.

As for the "quotation" it is–figuratively–an old concept wearing new shoes, with an alliterative shine.
It has to do with familiarity between people. The more familiar people are, the more coded their language but not necessarily using secret words:












>>>Camaraderie coddles cliches













That's all folks.
See you next post but caution is necessary when you–or I–quote cliched phrases.
That's all folks may very well be the copyrighted property of Porky Pig!




No comments: