Did he really say that?

The kind of humor I like is the thing that makes me laugh for five seconds and think for ten minutes = GEORGE CARLIN...Stained glass, engraved glass, frosted glass–give me plain glass = JOHN FOWLES...Music is the mathematics of the gods = PYTHAGORAS...Nothing is more fluid than language = R.L.SWIHART

Monday, September 17, 2012

Shirelles Are Merely The Midpoint

Let point Q = Shirelles

Then point P = Shirley Gunter

And

Point R = Supremes

QED



As–I am certain–you must remember from a previous post, QED is Latin for It Has Been Demonstrated.



I have one thousand and one fond memories of dancing to the Shirelles, half of them involve I Met Him On A Sunday.

My boyhood fantasies started with Dale Evans. I used to dream up ways to kill Roy Rogers so that I could ride off into the sunset with his wife but the fantasy blended with The Lone Ranger: I am riding on Trigger–Roy's horse–with Dale happily sharing the saddle with me, her arms wrapped around my ten-year-old body.

Then I loved CHER and, at least twenty times, I killed Sonny Bono.

BUT

There was no one to kill when my fantasies advanced to Diana Ross. Maybe, I'd hog-tie Ed Sullivan because the Supremes were frequent guests on the Ed Sullivan Show. What I definitely knew about Diana was that every time she sang a love song–Baby Love or Stop In The Name of Love, she was thinking about no one but me!


There is fantasy and then there is fact:

I spoke on the phone with Shirley Gunter at least twenty times. Half while she was living in Los Angeles and the other half when she moved to Las Vegas. She had briefly attended Jefferson High School and at least ten times on the phone she swore she would introduce me to Antoinette, her daughter. She wanted me to be her son-in-law.
THIS IS ABSOLUTE TRUTH
THIS IS ABSOLUTE TRUTH

If there is only one more CD to be purchased in your life, please make it this one.

This is Shirley's most famous song.

No comments: