Did he really say that?

The kind of humor I like is the thing that makes me laugh for five seconds and think for ten minutes = GEORGE CARLIN...Stained glass, engraved glass, frosted glass–give me plain glass = JOHN FOWLES...Music is the mathematics of the gods = PYTHAGORAS...Nothing is more fluid than language = R.L.SWIHART

Thursday, September 27, 2012

Nick Caruso, Honorary LCSoL Artist




The package sells the product.

If the product is good music,
it should sell itself.

Extremely rare is the case
where  packaged music
is less remembered
than the cover
album art.

But the good news
for the artist is
that it may
lead to
more
work.




For example, the  MUDDY WATERS  album from
the  Chess Blues Masters double-album series.

Four more of the album covers are featured below.










In 1975, Nick Caruso was commissioned
by Chess Records to conceive and
illustrate what you see here.













He was chosen by the fabled Chicago Blues
recording company because of his previous
cover album art for an unknown band
called Mom's Apple Pie.


I can tell you with certainty that for every person
who remembers that band's music, ten people
remember that band's album cover.





Better minds  than mine will tell you that the band inspired one of the most
controversial album covers in the history of recorded music.


In 1973, New York DAILY NEWS columnist  Kay Gardella  suggested
awarding Nick Caruso a Grammy Award for album cover art.

.




However, there was no such award, at that time.
But you will see the controversial
album cover in a minute.








Nick Caruso's studio was above a storefront on Northern Boulevard in Little Neck.


For those of us who know Long Island geography–and  F. Scott Fitzgerald–
Nicky lived about one mile away from the fictional location
of  DOCTOR ECKLEBERG'S EYES:  the intersection
of Northern Boulevard & the Cross Island Parkway.



Little Neck was adjacent to Great Neck.

Manhasset Neck came next.

Little Neck was adjacent to the two "Necks"
that were the inspiration for 
East Egg and West Egg,
the  waterfront towns 
featured in Fitzgerald's
THE GREAT GATSBY.

I was quite familiar with Nick Caruso's studio
because I was a friend of the artist.



I was most welcome in that studio when I had either
a six-pack of beer or some good reefer.

But this page is not about me.

Neither is it about Gatsby nor Long Island geography.

This page is about a 1973 art controversy  
inspired by a vinyl record album cover.


The vertex of an angle is where the Mom's Apple Pie
album cover controversy began.
Look closely and you can see
for yourself.

It is a vagina.





































Blogger's Notes
Where the hell are you, Nicky? I miss you. Jack McCarthy misses you.
Paul Gretschel misses you...Carole Lombardi definitely misses you,
if only I could find her. If anyone could locate you
(Gretschel notwithstanding), it would be "BK."

I apologize for all the names on this page
that should have had hyperlinks
but you know how to start
your search engines.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nick Caruso is my cousin. If you are still looking for him then please contact me. I always felt he was an amazing artist. A little known fact is that he is actually colored blind. Amazing artist to me. I am his baby cousin...Susan

Paul Oliverio said...

Susan

On behalf of Jack McCarthy, BK, and Paul Gretschel, I would cherish contacting Nick Caruso.

If you send me contact information, it would be kept private in my e-box.

Paul

Larry said...

I am Larry Patterson,..I was the manager of Mom's Apple Pie....

The album cover is up for the,.. Album cover hall of fame.

It would be nice Nick...

Larry
patterson.larry@gmail.com

or Susan the cousin !!!

Larry said...

Paul,
Have you ever located
Nick,..

I was the manager of MOM'S APPLE PIE.
Thanks,
Larry

Larry said...

I am Larry Patterson,..I was the manager of Mom's Apple Pie....

The album cover is up for the,.. Album cover hall of fame.

It would be nice Nick...

Larry
patterson.larry@gmail.com

or Susan the cousin !!!

Larry said...

HAS NICK BEEN LOCATED ¿

GUESS WE WILL SKIP THE ALBUM COVER HALL OF FAME....THING..

NICK CAN CONTACT ME AT PATTERSON.LARRY@GMAIL.COM

THANKS,
LARRY PATTERSON..FORMER MANAGER OF MOM'S APPLE PIE

Paul Oliverio said...

I made several inquiries
but no one has any idea
as to where Nick is today.

Wherever that might be,
we all hope he is well.

Vog girl said...

I too hope Nick is well. He was an amazing artist. I have three of the chess recording covers he did. I cherish them. I was in a band with his roommate and remember the long, long nights of his creative madness. Be well my friend.

Paul Oliverio said...

Thanks for the comment, Voggy.

Unknown said...

I,too, knew Nick Caruso from our "Coop" days and have that original Moms Apple Pie album. A very talented artist. Hope he is well.