Did he really say that?

The kind of humor I like is the thing that makes me laugh for five seconds and think for ten minutes = GEORGE CARLIN...Stained glass, engraved glass, frosted glass–give me plain glass = JOHN FOWLES...Music is the mathematics of the gods = PYTHAGORAS...Nothing is more fluid than language = R.L.SWIHART

Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Almost Gone With The Whim (R L Jr #4)

Because of his literary background, the son of Ring Lardner was chosen to read books for their potential as movie material.
But you do not have to play baseball to make a rookie mistake.
That was as true in 1937 as it is today.




In my debut as an appraiser of movie material,
I cast a no-vote on Margaret Mitchell’s Gone With The Wind mostly because I objected on political grounds to the glorification of slave-owners and the Ku Klux Klan. [A second appraiser] found it poorly written and not worth the money it would cost to produce...The third appraiser, Sylvia Schulman, was so enthusiastic and so persistent David Selznick began to consider it seriously.

-Ring Lardner Jr.
I'd Hate Myself In The Morning




Not only do rookies make mistakes, they also hit home runs.
Ring Lardner Jr. married Sylvia Schulman.

No comments: