Did he really say that?

The kind of humor I like is the thing that makes me laugh for five seconds and think for ten minutes = GEORGE CARLIN...Stained glass, engraved glass, frosted glass–give me plain glass = JOHN FOWLES...Music is the mathematics of the gods = PYTHAGORAS...Nothing is more fluid than language = R.L.SWIHART

Monday, December 3, 2012

May or May WHAT?


George wore these boots when he met John&Paul

I'll let the auctioneer use that wording. It will keep the bidders busy but the sentence is an example of the PTA SYNDROME.

I wish to hell that I could hyperlink the capitalized phrase but this PTA stands for Profundity Trumping Accuracy–as opposed to the Parents Teachers Association–and it is my very own acronym.

It would be very profound to think of these boots as having contained the feet of a fourteen-year old George Harrison while his hands were shaking those belonging to his brand new mates, John Lennon and Paul McCartney. Profound but not necessarily accurate.

In 1958, George was a British boy of many boots and other leather accessories.

PTA Syndrome is a marketing mechanism. No salesman, politician, stand-up comic, or cable news personality could survive without it.

On a daily basis, no human being with ears or mouth is capable of avoiding the PTA Syndrome.

"May or may not" is a nightmare phrase for persuasive speech. But it sure as hell can claim a greater allegiance to that thing called ACCURACY.

The most profound thing I say about the qualifying phrase is that–on these pages–it appears more often than "PTA Syndrome." However, that is subject to change.



Blogger's Notes
May I take this opportunity to inform you that I was born in the month of May?
But it may be redundant to inform you that PTA Syndrome is the copyrighted property of the Lewis Carroll School of Logic.
The Footograph is the copyrighted property of Bonham's


No comments: