Did he really say that?

The kind of humor I like is the thing that makes me laugh for five seconds and think for ten minutes = GEORGE CARLIN...Stained glass, engraved glass, frosted glass–give me plain glass = JOHN FOWLES...Music is the mathematics of the gods = PYTHAGORAS...Nothing is more fluid than language = R.L.SWIHART

Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Uncle Scott & Aunt Zelda (R L Jr #5)


The 1936 Princeton Yearbook featured a photograph of an unofficial student organization with a mystery title: L.O.L.A.
It stood for the "Loyal Order of Lardner Admirers."
Ring Lardner Jr., that is.
But it wasn't his father's name that led him to Princeton. It was his father's neighbor.


The idea of going to Princeton originated with Scott Fitzgerald who described its virtues to me when I was eight...He told us stories and performed card tricks for us. But it was Zelda who made the greater impression on me at that age. I have never seen a photograph that conveyed the beauty I saw in her or known another adult who said whatever came into her head without any discernible exercise of judgment.

-Ring Lardner Jr.




The author of I'd Hate Myself In The Morning was not the first Ring Lardner to have a special affection for Zelda Fitzgerald.





A simple click on this photo will enlarge
The love poem sufficiently







THIS IS A HYPERLINK-FREE POST DUE TO AN ABUNDANCE OF HYPERLINKING
IN THE
(R L Jr #_) SEQUENCE



No comments: