Did he really say that?

The kind of humor I like is the thing that makes me laugh for five seconds and think for ten minutes = GEORGE CARLIN...Stained glass, engraved glass, frosted glass–give me plain glass = JOHN FOWLES...Music is the mathematics of the gods = PYTHAGORAS...Nothing is more fluid than language = R.L.SWIHART

Thursday, July 26, 2012

D.N.A.

This is not an acronym for DeoxyriboNucleic Acid.
According to the good folks at Plan 9 Music, this acronym stands for Daughter of Nina, Amplified. The Nina, of course, is the blogfully documented Nina Simone. The "daughter" is...Joan Armatrading.




That Ms. Armatrading is an eclectic musician is a foregone conclusion. Not the biological daughter of the uber-influential Nina Simone but Joan is one of the athletically-voiced singers who qualify as Nina's torch-bearers. Ms. Armatrading qualifies as an Olympian torch-bearer. Regardless of your gender or economic status, you can think of Joan Armatrading as The rich man's Tracy Chapman. The "daughter's" red ink will link you to a song with the same title as this post, sans direct reference to the "mother." All you need to do is open your third ear.

A journalist I dated in Rocky Point introduced me to Joan's music in 1978. At times, I preferred listening to Joan's albums rather than conversing with the girlfriend. At times, Michele Block preferred listening to Joan rather than conversing with the boyfriend. But not always.

For more information (and music) about British-born Joan Anita Barbara Armatrading, MBE, click here.

If my memory serves me well, Michele Block & I did have a favorite Armatrading song: Down to Zero.

No comments: