Did he really say that?

The kind of humor I like is the thing that makes me laugh for five seconds and think for ten minutes = GEORGE CARLIN...Stained glass, engraved glass, frosted glass–give me plain glass = JOHN FOWLES...Music is the mathematics of the gods = PYTHAGORAS...Nothing is more fluid than language = R.L.SWIHART

Sunday, July 15, 2012

Sappho & Her Sisters


And one of her poems...

PLEASE
Come back to me, Gongyla, here tonight,
You, my rose, with your Lydian lyre.

There hovers forever around you delight:
A beauty desired.
Even your garment plunders my eyes.

I am enchanted:
I who once

Complained to the Cyprus-born goddess,

Whom I now beseech
Never to let this lose me grace
But rather bring you back to me:

Amongst all mortal women the one
 I most wish to see.
--Translated by Paul Roche

No comments: