Did he really say that?

The kind of humor I like is the thing that makes me laugh for five seconds and think for ten minutes = GEORGE CARLIN...Stained glass, engraved glass, frosted glass–give me plain glass = JOHN FOWLES...Music is the mathematics of the gods = PYTHAGORAS...Nothing is more fluid than language = R.L.SWIHART

Saturday, July 28, 2012

Good Golly Miss Molly








This is a copy of the very first record I ever owned, along with Sweet Little Sixteen and I Walked the Line. They were gifts from my father. Forty-five years later, I met Sheridan "Rip" Spencer who had been singing doowop music for that many years.



Therefore, the good folks at the well-blogged PLAN 9 MUSIC concept will gladly link the original release of "Good Golly Miss Molly" to a live performance (featuring Muhammed Ali) of the original recording.
The most important name involved in both recordings is Bumps Blackwell.
You will notice that there is a lot of red tape ink in the previous paragraph. However, I can easily explain the typo: I got frusterated!

I searched and I searched but I could not find–in neither Google-land nor the youTubeSphere–a doowop song called RED TAPE. It is my favorite Rip Spencer song and he recorded it with the Chevelles.

It is at times like this when iTunes might as well be called nonTunes because it linked me to fifty versions of a thrash-trash song where someone repeatedly screams "RED TAPE!" and the instruments all sound like Black&Decker power tools.

But that should not stop you from appreciating the Good Gollies of Miss Molly.




No comments: