Did he really say that?

The kind of humor I like is the thing that makes me laugh for five seconds and think for ten minutes = GEORGE CARLIN...Stained glass, engraved glass, frosted glass–give me plain glass = JOHN FOWLES...Music is the mathematics of the gods = PYTHAGORAS...Nothing is more fluid than language = R.L.SWIHART

Saturday, July 28, 2012

With Apologies to JC

Lyrics = Oliverio/Peterssen.
Music = Peterssen/Rip Spencer.

The original title of this song was STUNT MAN and before Rip Spencer's involvement, a rock&roll version was recorded at Ray Peterssen's "Raining Notes" studio in San Diego.
It featured me as Tom Waits-like vocalist with Ray providing Carlos Santana-like guitar licks. Copies of that recording are available upon request.
The original idea for this very controversial song was mine and the inspiration came from a Tracey Ullman character, a very masculine stunt man (Rayleen Gibson).

But it was Sheridan "Rip" Spencer who came up with a brilliant idea: convert it to hip-hop to be performed in four voices. Let it be performed by Jefferson High School students. Rip had access to a world-class Los Angeles recording studio but somebody would have had to finance it. Rip had spent fifty years in recording studios and his doo-wop version of "Good Golly, Miss Molly" was released just before the seminal recording by Little Richard.

The Lewis Carroll School Endowment reluctantly agreed to the funding of a composition that redefined the most important moment in the history of Christianity. We changed the title of the song, which is why this post is "With Apologies to JC."
Because the Endowment also included a $20,000 donation to Jefferson, school administrators eagerly approved the project. The hip-hop quartet was to be called "Chollette & Her Chollos." Rip and Ray jointly came up with that name.
Unfortunately, half of the donation "disappeared" and what you see below is all that exists of the song formerly entitled "Stunt Man." Both Peterssen and Spencer are deceased and I retired from Jefferson. There is, however, a band called Sharpie & the Profile...

Italic notations = Rip Spencer


Male Tenor Chollo
I know Jesus
And I know him good.
He answers the door
When I knock on wood.


Second Male Tenor
The other day
Jesus said to me


(No Pause) Male Baritone
Things are not
What they seem to be!


Sexy Female Soprano
It was a stunt man.

Everybody
IT WAS A FRONT MAN.
IT WAS A STUNT MAN.


Baritone Chollo
It wasn’t me!

Pause
It wasn’t me
Up on the cross.
I was backstage
With my boss.
Told me to keep away
From that crucifix.
Said


(No Pause) Everyone
EVEN JESUS GOT TO GET HIS KICKS.

Soprano
It was a stunt man–

Sexy whisper
A body double.

Tenors
Histo-reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Is not always what you see!


Baritone
I went to the temple where I once got mad.
I was shooting craps and feeling pretty glad.
We saw the video
from up on the hill
But it wasn’t me
Who gave you that thrill.


(No pause) Tenors
In the story of the Loaves & Fishes
Somebody had to wash the dishes.
Nobody ever got the credit.


Everybody
BUT IT’S GOOD WORK
IF YOU CAN GET IT.


Sexy Soprano
It was a stunt man–
A body double


Tenors
Histo-reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Is not always what you see!


No comments: