Did he really say that?

The kind of humor I like is the thing that makes me laugh for five seconds and think for ten minutes = GEORGE CARLIN...Stained glass, engraved glass, frosted glass–give me plain glass = JOHN FOWLES...Music is the mathematics of the gods = PYTHAGORAS...Nothing is more fluid than language = R.L.SWIHART

Wednesday, November 7, 2012

If I Were To Steal From Faulkner...

I would prefer one of the following William Faulkner quotes but there are many more where this came from:

Perhaps they were right putting love into books. Perhaps it could not live anywhere else.

A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station….”

The best fiction is far more true than any journalism.

The artist doesn't have time to listen to the critics. The ones who want to be writers read the reviews, the ones who want to write don't have the time to read reviews.

A mule will labor ten years willingly and patiently for you, for the privilege of kicking you once.

Read, read, read. Read everything -- trash, classics, good and bad, and see how they do it. Just like a carpenter who works as an apprentice and studies the master. Read! You'll absorb it.
Then write. If it's good, you'll find out. If it's not, throw it out of the window.



No comments: