Did he really say that?

The kind of humor I like is the thing that makes me laugh for five seconds and think for ten minutes = GEORGE CARLIN...Stained glass, engraved glass, frosted glass–give me plain glass = JOHN FOWLES...Music is the mathematics of the gods = PYTHAGORAS...Nothing is more fluid than language = R.L.SWIHART

Sunday, November 11, 2012

Sympathy for Mr. Kicks


My good friends at Plan 9 Music Concept have passed along two songs to compare and contrast. They are from opposite ends of the Sixties but the lyrical themes are hauntingly similar.

Somewhere around 1960, Oscar Brown Jr. recorded Mr. Kicks.
Permit me to introduce myself
The name is Mr. Kicks
I dwell in the dark dominion
Way down by the River Styx






A more familiar song was released by
the Rolling Stones in 1968.

The first verse is

Please allow me to introduce myself
I'm a man of wealth and taste
I've been around for a long, long year
Stole many a man's soul and fate

No comments: